UPDATE

***********************************************

DEAR FRIENDS, AFTER RECEIVING FIVE NOTIFICATIONS FROM DMCA, I HAVE DECIDED TO CLOSE MY BLOGS, SO ALL THIS SHARING-LINK ACTIVITY IS FINISHED. YOU CAN READ THE COMPLETE TEXT I POSTED ON MY PILOT BLOG - - > HERE

FOR THE MANY MANY PEOPLE WHO KEEP ASKING FOR RECORDS: I'M SORRY, I CAN'T FULFIL THEIR REQUESTS, IT ALL CAME TO A POINT THAT'S 'S TOO DANGEROUS FOR ME. I HAD TO REMOVE THE 97% OF THE ALBUMS I HAD POSTED ON THE SERVERS. The few exceptions are: the bootlegs and the few studio albums authorized directly by the copyright owners.


FOR ALL THE OTHERS, Cyrus (who wants to buy some of my vynil records), Maxoom, Caroalt, Jiro, Trolley Dolly, Phil (who wants my copies of the COB albums), Marnie (who wants my copy of the original "Ptooff"), XJ64, Antiamnbient, Arman, Nicolas, Rick, etc etc , please WRITE ME AGAIN WITH YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, AND I WILL ANSWER YOU, OKAY?

LAST: I RE-UPPED THE FOREST'S LIVE ALBUM FOR THREE PEOPLE WHO ASKED FOR IT, SO IF ANYONE'S INTERESTED, HERE'S YOUR CHANCE.

KISSES - YOUR COUNTESS VANESSA

******************************************************

There are no more LINKS AND REQUESTS available here

.
WHAT IS "PUSSYNBOOTLEGS" FOR...? - - - A CAT IN MOONSHINE BUSINESS? - - - WELL, I LOVE BOOTS, AND FAIRIES WEAR BOOTS - - - I LOVE FABLES WITH PUSS-IN-BOOTS! - - - I LOVE CATS WITH LEGS INSIDE BIG BOOTS - - - AND I LOVE BOOTLEGS TOO ...... and the show goes on! :-)

JUMP DIRECTLY TO....

No pretention of completeness in mind, this blog sees the light with the idea of filling a good number of gaps here and there where I notice that certain music that I particularly like is missing in other blogs. Therefore I will abstain from posting albums that are present elsewhere, except only the cases where I am reported of dirty record scans, incomplete reissues, remixed versions, etc. Other exceptions are cases in which I can offer higher bitrate scans, or also when posting a title is necessary for the completeness of a thread or a discography.

26 Feb 2010

MAN - Live at the Padget Rooms, Penarth (United Artists, 1971) - Limited edition

This LP was issued in a limited edition (the same that happened for Help Yourself's "Happy days/The return of Ken Whaley"), the label was numbered USP 100.
Among the titles, this live version of "Many are called but few get up"  is something devastating, with those powerful guitar riffs entwining again and again, such an incredible drive..!  In comparison, the studio version (on the LP "Do you like it here now?" - see foto below) loses all its aplomb...
Unacceptable that albums such as this were released in limited editions!!
Together with "Be good to yourself..." is in my opinion the best album of Man.

The complete title is:
"Do you like it here now? (Are you settling in allright?)"
(United Artists, 1971)
********************************
UPDATE:
Sad sad news about Man's effective leader and main composer, guitarist/singer  Mickey Jones, who died on 14th March, aged 63, exactly during the days I was preparing a big part of Man's discography for these columns.  He was the only original member always present in those roaring years, from 69 to 79, responsible for the75% at least of the band's musical material. I always loved his licks and sounds, especially on wah-wah, that he was able to extract from his splendid GIBSON SG Standard.  Thanks him for so many good albums, that I hold tight, shame only that he never recorded a solo album, I would always have been curious to hear one from him. Rest in peace.

XXX
Dame V.

4 comments:

  1. I've always loved 'Back Into The Future', but I agree that 'Be Good To Yourself' is a better album. And since I don't have it - or the other Man/Man related albums - I really would love to get the links.

    Thanks, as always, countess!
    Hugs. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, Manila, also "Back into the future" is a good album, but the second LP is for me a bit too monotonous and repetitive... I would have preferred that it had been released as a single LP.
    I've never ben a real fan of Man, because each album is like a see-saw, their inspiration is often going in too many directions, not last the country rock, and this is often disappointing, for me.
    However, I have all their LPs and I keep them, other good albums are "Two ozs of plastic", "Slow motion", and also "The Welsh conncetion".
    Thank you too, Manila! Kiss

    Your Countess :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the band....and love mickeys guitar playing and that was a great anology from you......as frank zappa said....one of the best guitarist...saw him many times in london but remember him mostly at the cardiff arms in swansea....always had a chat with him...a great loss....rest in peace mickey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Zappahead, thanks very much for your comment and your affection for Mickey Jones, how lucky you were, having seen them live so often. I must say that every time I heard a live version of some of their songs, it immediately substituted the original studio version I knew.
    Therefore I can state today that Man was principally a band to be seen live! I know, by the way, that for the Greasy Truckers Party double album - which I posted - the complete list of songs was including also "Many are called.." and "Romain", a powerful rock-blues!! Shame-shame-shame that these recordings are nowhere to be found, at least as far as I know...
    So dear Zappahead, all the best for now and please write again sometimes, always welcome! :-)

    your Countess

    ReplyDelete