UPDATE

***********************************************

DEAR FRIENDS, AFTER RECEIVING FIVE NOTIFICATIONS FROM DMCA, I HAVE DECIDED TO CLOSE MY BLOGS, SO ALL THIS SHARING-LINK ACTIVITY IS FINISHED. YOU CAN READ THE COMPLETE TEXT I POSTED ON MY PILOT BLOG - - > HERE

FOR THE MANY MANY PEOPLE WHO KEEP ASKING FOR RECORDS: I'M SORRY, I CAN'T FULFIL THEIR REQUESTS, IT ALL CAME TO A POINT THAT'S 'S TOO DANGEROUS FOR ME. I HAD TO REMOVE THE 97% OF THE ALBUMS I HAD POSTED ON THE SERVERS. The few exceptions are: the bootlegs and the few studio albums authorized directly by the copyright owners.


FOR ALL THE OTHERS, Cyrus (who wants to buy some of my vynil records), Maxoom, Caroalt, Jiro, Trolley Dolly, Phil (who wants my copies of the COB albums), Marnie (who wants my copy of the original "Ptooff"), XJ64, Antiamnbient, Arman, Nicolas, Rick, etc etc , please WRITE ME AGAIN WITH YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, AND I WILL ANSWER YOU, OKAY?

LAST: I RE-UPPED THE FOREST'S LIVE ALBUM FOR THREE PEOPLE WHO ASKED FOR IT, SO IF ANYONE'S INTERESTED, HERE'S YOUR CHANCE.

KISSES - YOUR COUNTESS VANESSA

******************************************************

There are no more LINKS AND REQUESTS available here

.
WHAT IS "PUSSYNBOOTLEGS" FOR...? - - - A CAT IN MOONSHINE BUSINESS? - - - WELL, I LOVE BOOTS, AND FAIRIES WEAR BOOTS - - - I LOVE FABLES WITH PUSS-IN-BOOTS! - - - I LOVE CATS WITH LEGS INSIDE BIG BOOTS - - - AND I LOVE BOOTLEGS TOO ...... and the show goes on! :-)

JUMP DIRECTLY TO....

No pretention of completeness in mind, this blog sees the light with the idea of filling a good number of gaps here and there where I notice that certain music that I particularly like is missing in other blogs. Therefore I will abstain from posting albums that are present elsewhere, except only the cases where I am reported of dirty record scans, incomplete reissues, remixed versions, etc. Other exceptions are cases in which I can offer higher bitrate scans, or also when posting a title is necessary for the completeness of a thread or a discography.

2 Jan 2010

VAN DER GRAAF GALLERY

FIRST POST - HOMMAGE TO VDGG
From a VDGG fanatic for real VDGG fans only

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR DELIRIUM
(A SMALL GALLERY OF RARITIES)

(the picture below is not source of mine, I took it from somewhere in the web, can't remember anymore where, I apologize to the owner...)


The now-n-then controversial inner sleeve of the album, where the group poses as an obviously sarcastic parody of a complex of statues they had seen in Kaiserslautern (a town in Germany).
My five copies of "Pawn hearts" originals. I used to have 7, but I sold 2, years ago

The lyrics insert included in the 1st UK "Pawn hearts" edition, with a drawing by Paul Whitehead, and the inner envelope with Charisma records advertisings

The 1st UK label, in pink. The USA release of Pawn hearts (right side) included "Theme one" on side 1 between Lemmings and Man-Erg. "W" wasn't present on the LP.
VDGG single: "Theme one"/ "W" Italian edition, Philips 1971
In each country where this release took place, this single had always a different sleeve.

The first bootleg ever: "Fellow travelers", with VDGG on side one and Hammill on side two, released in 1972, with a powerful, a DEVASTATING live version of "Killer". For many eventual years (till the recent reconstruction!) we all had to stick to this one, because the group was ON PURPOSE abstaining from performing Killer alive, with huge disappointment of all VDG lovers... Luckily, they finally changed their mind, but it took more than 30 years before they did!.... I bet we all VDGG fans would have even beaten Job, as to having patience...!

The original "Aerosol grey machine" release, USA only, Mercury 1968, promotional copy.
After Peter Hammill named this LP in an interview in Italy, all the hooligans and the hunters got unleashed. But the album was so rare - already in the very late 60's - that even fanatics and connoisseurs couldn't get convinced of its existance. Things were finally fixed with the first official reissue, in 1974 on Vertigo and Fontana (Europe only)
Aerosol grey machine, back cover

What is bizarre in this promo copy, is that label and cover declare "Necromancer", but the vinyl plays "Giant squid" !!  :-)))

"The least we can do..." in the first USA release, on ABC Probe, with a completely different cover, front and back.

The glorious poster included in the UK release of "The least we can do..."
"The least we can do..." UK inner sleeve

2 pics above: the USA cover of "H to HE", on ABC Dunhill

I didn't have to make 2 separate fotos of the Red shift single: the advantage of having two copies ;-))
The song is divided in 2 parts, it's not the one appeared on LP, but a completely different version .

 Because of the VDGG's huge success in Italy, the very first edition of "Silent corner" appeared in Italy only, late Summer 1973, with this temporary cover and with typewritten lyrics inside, a few months earlier than the official UK release.

 The two editions of Peter Hammill's first book "Killers, angels, refugees", first published 1974. When the moment of re-printing came, 7 years after, being discontented, he repudiated some parts of the 1st edition.


My copies signed by the Maestro in person.
I cut that piece coz it bears my name

 Two mailing-list letters for-fans-only that I received: one from Peter Hammill directly, Sofa Sound (1981, left) and from "Pawn Hearts Box", Michigan, 1982

VDGG Bootleg, "Montreal 77"

The first 100 % Peter Hammill bootleg, "Farewell my lovely".
At the moment that the name of  "Pete Hamill, New York" appeared as the author of the cover notes for "Blood on the tracks" (only on the very first edition) by Bob Dylan, in 1975, we all thought it was OUR Peter Hammill, also due to this mistake in spelling his name on this bootleg, but we were wrong, they're 2 different persons.

The bootleg "Modern", a double abum by Peter Hammill and Graham Smith, something no less than moving...
VDGG single "Cat's eye..." (LP version) / "Ship of fools" (studio version, unissued on LP)

 KISS from your
Countess

1 comment:

  1. What a band they were and thankfully still are. And of course thare is the one and only poet of rock Hammill. A living legend of music whom I have the great feeling of hearing live in the early 90's with some of his musical friends in that great band. These above are surely gems.

    ReplyDelete